The human body has several organs and each organ has its work. Among all the organs of the human body, the kidneys play an essential role in maintaining our overall health. Unfortunately, kidney failure has become a growing issue in recent years. But have you ever wondered why our kidneys fail? In this article, we will know why people suffer from kidney failure and how to keep kidneys healthy.
Function of Kidneys
Before knowing the reasons for kidney failure, let’s first understand the functions of our kidneys. These bean-shaped organs, located in the lower back, are responsible for filtering waste products, excess fluid, and toxins from our blood. Kidneys also help regulate blood pressure, balance electrolytes, and produce essential hormones.
Why Do Kidneys Fail?
As said above, Kidney failure concerns are increasing these days. Every year lakh of people suffer with kidney failure. But, what is the reason behind kidney failure? Lets find out below.
1. Diabetes: One of the leading causes of kidney failure is uncontrolled diabetes. High blood sugar levels over time can damage the tiny blood vessels in the kidneys, impairing their ability to function properly.
2. High Blood Pressure: Uncontrolled high blood pressure can also lead to kidney failure. The excessive force exerted on the blood vessels in the kidneys can cause damage, reducing their efficiency in filtering waste from the blood.
3. Kidney Infections: Infections in the kidneys, such as urinary tract infections (UTIs), can spread to the kidneys and cause inflammation. If left untreated, these infections can damage the kidneys and lead to chronic kidney disease.
4. Kidney Stones: Kidney stones are also the reason behind failure of kidney. The formation of kidney stones can obstruct the flow of urine, causing severe pain and potentially damaging the kidneys if not treated promptly.
5. Autoimmune Disorders: Certain autoimmune diseases, such as lupus and glomerulonephritis, can cause inflammation and damage to the kidneys, leading to kidney failure over time.
6. Genetic Factors: In some cases, genetic factors can also be the reason behind kidney failure. Certain inherited conditions affect the structure and function of the kidneys, making them more susceptible to failure.
Maintaining Kidney Health
Now comes the main question i.e How can we keep our kidneys healthy? While some causes of kidney failure may be beyond our control, there are several steps we can take to promote kidney health and reduce the risk of developing kidney problems:
1. Stay Hydrated: Drinking an adequate amount of water helps flush out toxins and prevent the formation of kidney stones. Aim to drink around 8 cups (64 ounces) of water per day, unless otherwise advised by a healthcare professional.
2. Eat a Balanced Diet: Consume a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. Limit your intake of processed foods, high-sodium foods, and sugary beverages, as they can strain the kidneys.
3. Control Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure: If you have diabetes or high blood pressure, work closely with your healthcare provider to manage these conditions effectively. Monitoring your blood sugar levels and taking prescribed medications can help protect your kidneys.
4. Exercise Regularly: Engaging in physical activity regularly helps maintain a healthy weight and promotes overall cardiovascular health. It can also help control blood pressure and reduce the risk of kidney disease.
5. Avoid Smoking and Limit Alcohol Intake: Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can damage blood vessels and increase the risk of kidney disease. Quitting smoking and drinking in moderation can significantly benefit your kidney health.
6. Regular Check-ups: Schedule regular check-ups with your healthcare provider to monitor your kidney function. Routine blood and urine tests can detect early signs of kidney problems and allow for timely interventions.
Best Hospitals For Kidney Failure Treatment
Kidney failure is a serious health issue affecting many individuals worldwide. By understanding the causes and taking preventive measures, we can significantly reduce the risk of kidney failure. If you are suffering with Kidney Failure then you can get you dialysis done in the nearest best kidney hospital. There are several hospitals who are providing the same.